Coconut, which is, in fact, a seed and not a nut, can have a flavor described as anything from toasted and sweet, to creamy and lactonic, to fatty and fresh.
Making rice using coconut gives the dish a tropical flavor and a creamy texture. The most common recipe does not require a lot of preparation, just some spices and ingredients that are already available in the kitchen are enough.
Side dish for coconut rice can be anything from gravy to pickle.
Coconut Rice Recipe
- pressure cooker
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Cup Cooked rice
- 1/2 Cup Grated coconut
- 1 tbsp Mustard seed
- 1/2 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Chana dal
- Few curry leaves
- 1 Dried red chili
- 2 Green chili
- 1 inch Ginger
- 7 to 8 Cashew
- In a pan heat the oil and saute the mustard and curry leaves
- Add urad dal, chana dal, 1 dried red chili and fry them for 10 to 15 seconds
- Now add ginger and green chilies and cook them in the oil
- Add 10 cashews and roast till the cashews turn golden brown.
- Add in the grated coconut and saute for a minute or till the raw smell goes away.
- Now, add salt and rice to the mixture and mix gently.
- Close the lid and cook for few seconds in low flame
- Now, open the lid, delicious coconut rice is ready to serve!
If you like what you are tasting, then do RATE and COMMENT below
- Just like mangoes, cashews, and cherries, the coconut is actually a drupe and not a nut. The drupe is an item that has a fleshy outer around a pit.
- During World War II, coconut water was used as an IV drip because there was not enough blood plasma available.
- At full capacity, the coconut palm bears fruit for 15 to 60 years, but under ideal conditions, fruit production can last for up to 80 years.
- The maximum age of the coconut palm is between 100 and 120 years.