Tomato rice/pulao is a famous south Indian recipe that goes by the name thakkali satham in South India. It is prepared by using ripe tomatoes and a few special spices. Its delicious taste and unique aroma make for a hungry lunch recipe.
Tomato Rice Recipe
- 1 Cup basmati rice(200 grams)
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3-4 Green cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 3/4 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Chana dal
- 1 Medium Red onion
- 1 Green chili, chopped
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 4 Medium Tomatoes
- 1/4 Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Coriander powder
- 1/2 Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Mint leaves to garnish
- First, soak the rice for 20 minutes and then rinse and keep it ready
- Now, Heat oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat and add mustard seeds.
- Once the oil is hot, add the bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon stick. cook till you get the whiff of the aroma
- Add the chopped onion, green chili, and curry leaves and Cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add the ginger-garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes along with salt and mix. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes until mushy.
- Then add the spices turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red chili powder.
- Cook till the oil is separated from the masala
- Add the soaked rice to the cooker and mix well with the masala.
- Add water, mix well and close the lid.
- Wait for three whistles and then turn off the heat and let the pressure release on its own.
- Open the cooker and fluff the rice with a fork. Garnish with mint leaves.
- Serve hot with raita.
If you like what you are tasting, then do RATE and COMMENT below
Side dishes that work well with Tomato Rice
- They are the world’s most popular fruit. With an annual production of 60 million tons, they remain the world’s most demanded and most popular fruit.
- There is a very messy annual festival in Spain. It goes by the name La Tomatina. It involves tomatoes but what people do is, they don’t eat tomatoes. They throw tomatoes at each other. Some 150,000 tomatoes are used.
- 94.5% of the weight of a typical tomato is nothing but water!
- Tomatoes can keep longer if you store them with their stem down