Chicken dum biryani at home:
Chicken dum biryani is a very popular non-vegetarian dish that is available and most served in all the restaurants that serve non-veg dishes. It is also one of the sought out dishes for any event or function in India because of its rich flavor.
Dum is a process of slow cooking the rice and gravy using the vapour. Also, this process helps in getting flavourful rice as the aroma gets absorbed into the rice because of the vapour. In professional places, people use small hot wooden logs for the dum process.
In this recipe, chicken dum biryani is made at home is made with some alternate to wooden logs. We can use a flat iron tawa and a bowl of water to replicate the same process. Also, we can use the dough to seal the vapor but its a process by itself.
Serve it hot with raita and brinjal gravy.
How to make chicken dum biryani at home:
Step 1: Marinate the chicken
In a bowl, add 350 gms chicken, 1 1/2 ginger garlic paste, 2 tbsp Coriander leaves, a handful of mint leaves, 150 gms curd, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 crushed green chili, 1 tbsp red chili powder, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp black pepper powder, 2 tbsp fried onions, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 turmeric powder, 1/2 tbsp butter.
Mix it all well and close the bowl. Marinate for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Biryani gravy
Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp oil. Once the oil warms up, add the spices(1 star anise, 2 to 3 cinnamon stick, 1 dried kapok bud, and 1/4 tsp mace) and saute for a few seconds.
Next, add the marinated chicken and mix well. Close and cook till the chicken softens and oil releases from the masala.
Step 3: Boil the rice
In a pan/cooker add 3 cups of water and 1 tbsp oil along with 2 cinnamon stick, 4 cardamoms, 2clove. And the soaked rice – 1 1/2 cup.
Boil in medium flame till the rice is 70 percent done. Then switch off the flame and filter the excess water. Set the rice aside.
Step 4: Putting the rice and gravy in dum
Dum is a process of using the vapour to flavor and slow cook the rice along with the gravy.
Take a flat iron Tawa and place it on top of the flame and take a thick bottom cooker or pan and place it over the tawa.
Next, grease the cooker and layer it with half of the cooked rice. Then add the gravy and spread it equally over the rice layer and on top of it the rest of the rice.
FInally, layer it with coriander leaves, mint leaves, fried onions, and butter. Close the lid and top it with a bowl of water and cook in medium to low flame for about 20 to 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes switch of the flame and open the lid to experience the flavors of cooked chicken dum biryani breeze your senses. Gently fluff the rice from the corner and serve it hot!
Chicken Dum Biryani is ready!
How to make chicken dum biryani at home video recipe:
How to make chicken dum biryani at home recipe card
chicken dum biryani
- Iron tawa for dum
- 350 gms Chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Mint leaves handfull
- 150 gms Curd
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp crushed green chilli
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp Fried onion
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 Cup Basmati rice
- 3 Cup Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 4 to 5 Cinamon stick
- 4 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Star anise
- 4 to 5 cinnamon stick
- 1 dried kapok bud
- 1/4 tsp Mace
- In a bowl add Chicken, Ginger garlic paste, Coriander leaves, Mint leaves, Curd, Lemon juice, crushed green chilli, Red chilli powder,Garam masala, Black pepper powder, Fried onion, Salt, Turmeric powder and Butter.
- Mix them all together and cover the bowl. Marinate for 30 minutes
- Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp of oil. Next, add the spices(star anise,cinnamon stick,dried kapok bud, and mace) and saute for a few seconds
- Now add the marinated chicken and cook till the chicken softens and oil separates from the gravy.
- In a Pan/cooker add water, salt and spices(cinnamon stick, cardamom,clove) along with the soaked rice.
- Cook till the rice is 70 percent done and once done filter the excess water.
- In the stove place a flat iron tawa. And above it place a thick bottom pan/cooker and grease it well with oil.
- Now top it with a layer of rice and over it place the chicken biryani gravy and on top of it rest of the rice. Spread it all equally.
- Next, layer it with some coriander leaves, mint leaves, fried onions and melted butter.
- Now close the cooker or pan and on top of it keep a bowl full of water so that the dum stays intact.
- Cook in medium to low flame for 30 minutes.
- Afte 30 minutes switch off the flame and open the lid. Dum biryani should be done.
- Gently fluff the rice from the corner and serve it hot!
If you like what you are tasting, then do RATE and COMMENT below
Click here For more vegetarian recipes non-Vegetarian Recipes