Lemon rice, also called chitranna and elumichai/lemon satham is a south Indian dish. It gives a distinguished flavor due to the sour taste it gets from the lemon juice. Also, color and taste are so refreshing, making it a more appetising dish.
Cooking lemon rice is so simple that it can be prepared with some readily available seasoning in the kitchen and boiled rice. The gentle sour taste of lemon juice and the aroma of tempered seasoning makes it a flavourful and a perfect dish for an afternoon meal. It can team up with pickle, curd/yogurt or dry chutney to add more taste. It is the most common comfort food for the people in south India and would make a perfect and quick breakfast with leftover food from the previous day. They also carry lemon rice during travel because it can stay fresh for long hours and it’s a perfect alternative to tamarind rice during travel.
Lemon Rice is ready to serve!
Lemon Rice Recipe
- 1 Cup Boiled rice
- 1 Small Lemon
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp de-husked black lentils (ulutham paruppu/ urad dal)
- few curry leaves
- 2 Green chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Cup Whole peanuts
- Coriander Leaf for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves, allow to splutter.
- Now turn the stove to low flame and add Split Black gram, fry till golden.
- Add peanuts, fry till brown.
- Now add green chilies, salt and fry for 2 minutes
- Add turmeric and mix well.
- Take it off from the flame and add lemon juice and mix well.
- Now add the boiled rice to the tempered mixture and mix well.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Clean and soak the rice for 30 minutes
- Then, take the pressure cooker and add two cups of water and little salt to it
- Now add the soaked rice to it
- Close the lid and switch on the stove and wait for 3 whistles
- Wait it no steam left and then open the lid
If you like what you are tasting, then do RATE and COMMENT below!
Side dishes that work well with Bitter gourd fry
- Do you know warming up lemon gives more juice?
Microwaving it for 30 to 40 seconds or bringing it to room temperature gives more juice.
- How about writing a secret message?
yes, dilute lemon juice with water and dip one end of the cotton swab in the diluted lemon juice then and use the cotton swab as pen and write your secret message on a paper. Now, you can read the secret message by warming up the paper using lighter or candle. Maybe you can write your secret recipe using this ink ?!